Skip to main content
Residence Life - FAQs - College of Saint Elizabeth
Main Menu
Additional Menu
Contact Information
Office of Residence Life

Founders Hall

Phone: (973) 290-4130/4184

Office Hours:
M-F: 9:30am-7:00pm

See Staff

Residence Life - FAQs

What is the role of the Office of Residence Life?

Residence Life creates and develops a community within the residence halls. Community Assistants known as CAs develop and host a wide variety of programs that target special areas of interest such as life skills; professional development; mind, body and spirit; social justice; and, culture and diversity. Programming helps expose our students to new and different perspectives of our ever-changing society.

The Office of Residence Life is located in Founders Hall in the upper lounge. Here you will find the Director, Assistant Director, and Resident Coordinators of our department. We are there to help with any concerns and answer any questions you may have.

Who can I ask for help in the Residence Halls?

You can ask any of our paraprofessional staff, Community Assistants (CAs) or the live-in professional staff, Resident Coordinators (RCs). Students are always welcome to come and stop by the Office of Residence Life to discuss any concerns they may have. We ask that all residents store our department cell phone number (973) 985-7394 in their phones to assist in any emergencies during evening and weekend hours.

What is the noise policy within the residence halls?

Quiet hours are in effect from 12:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. every day. All residents of the halls are responsible for maintaining an environment conducive to learning. Therefore, a 24-hour Courtesy Hours Policy is in place to limit excessive noise or loud music outside of Quiet Hours. Every student has the right to quiet and therefore the responsibility to maintain it. Select floors have been designated as "Quiet Floors" on which a 24-hour quiet environment is to be maintained.

What should I bring when I move into my new room?

Please bring what you feel are the essentials to survive in the beginning, you can always get things you left home another time. But please check out About Your Room for a more comprehensive list of what to bring and what not to bring.

What if I lose my keys or CSE ID Card?

The Office of Residence Life is responsible for handing out keys at the beginning of the year, but DOES NOT make or produce the keys and ID Cards in the office. If you feel that you misplaced your keys or ID, you can come to the Office of Residence Life for a temporary ID. Temporary IDs are only released for 48 hours and then will need to be returned to Residence Life after that period.

Something is broken in my room. How do I get it fixed?

We ask all students to place their own work orders in order to monitor the repair process. All you need to do is submit a work order. If it is an emergency, please contact your CA, email, or call (973) 985-7394.

My roommate and I are not getting along. What do I do?

In the event you are not getting along, find your CA or any Residence Life staff member and tell them your concern. They will schedule a mediation with both parties in an unbiased manner and then complete and/or update a roommate contract. We encourage all students to attempt to work out all situations with their roommates first.

What are Health and Safety inspections?

In order to maintain a healthy and safe environment in the Residence Halls, the Office of Residence Life conducts Health and Safety room inspections several times during each semester during vacation breaks (Fall Semester Recess, Thanksgiving Break, Spring Break, Easter Recess, and Summer Recess). Fines are imposed for violations (such as possession of prohibited items). Residents are provided notice during monthly building meetings and are provided information on how to properly close down their rooms for long break periods.

Can I stay in my room during breaks?

The only approved exceptions to this policy are:

In order to be approved to stay in the Residence Halls during the vacation periods a student must be in good judicial standing. The privilege to remain in the halls during vacation may be revoked prior to or during a break due to a judicial infraction.

All students who fall within these groups for Summer and Christmas Recess must secure approval to stay from the Office of Residence Life and may be obligated to pay additional fees as set forth by the College. They may also be required to change rooms or residence halls during these periods at the discretion of the Office of Residence Life.

There is a period of two weeks during both Christmas and Summer Recess during which no student may reside on campus. Students are cautioned that their residence hall contract is not valid during these vacation periods and that any student entering any residence hall building during these periods is trespassing and will be treated accordingly.

For more information, please contact the Office of Residence Life at (973) 290-4130/4184 or

Do I have to remove all my belongings from my room during breaks?

At the end of the fall semester (December), students are required to leave the Residence Halls, but do not need to remove their belongings unless they are checking out, not registered, or not returning to their residence hall in the spring semester. However, students are encouraged to take expensive property home with them. Clothes and other belongings can be left, but are left at the student's own risk.

Are there kitchens in the residence halls?

Kitchens are located throughout the residence halls. Kitchen appliances are not permitted in student rooms, besides mini-fridges. Therefore, our kitchens are equipped with community refrigerators, stove units, and microwaves.

As a safety precaution, students must be present in the kitchen while the stove or microwave units are in use. A fine will be imposed on any student not present in the kitchen while the stove or microwave is in use.

It is the resident's responsibility, as a matter of courtesy, to keep the kitchen areas clean. Unclaimed dishes or kitchen utensils left in this area may be discarded.

I want to be a Community Assistant, what do I need to do?

Do you want to be a CA and have an impact within our campus community? Awesome! Residence Life holds information sessions that you can attend that will explain the role and all that it offers.

During each semester we will have an informational session where you can learn about the CA position and what it entails, as well as the requirements to apply. At the informational sessions, you will be provided with an application, upcoming deadlines, and the opportunity to speak to current staff members about the process.

The CA Applicant process will consist of an application, personal interview, and group process. Selected Community Assistants and Community Assistant alternates will also receive a full summer and winter training before each semester.

Can I have a car on campus?

All students can have a car on campus, but they need to be registered with the college.

Register your car here.

Resident students may park in the designated lot and gravel areas near the two residence halls, provided that a proper resident student parking decal is displayed on the vehicle. No student parking is permitted in the Santa Rita Hall lot, Henderson Hall lot, Santa Maria Hall lot, or any other designated staff/faculty parking spaces.

If I can't have a car, how can I do things off campus?

The College is easily accessible via public transportation. New Jersey Transit offers low cost student train fares. Contact NJ Transit directly for application materials. Once the application is completed by the student, Student Services will verify attendance, prior to submitting the application to NJ Transit. For a list of local businesses, visit Local Businesses.

What is the alcohol/drug policy for the College of Saint Elizabeth?

In addition to the College Substance Abuse policy, the following regulations apply specifically to the use of drugs and alcohol in the residence halls:

Who We Are

Founded in 1899 by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth, the College of Saint Elizabeth has a strong tradition of concern for the poor, for developing leadership in a spirit of service and social responsibility, and a commitment to the promotion of women as full partners in society.

Learn More About CSE
Take a Virtual Tour
Visit SOC Website

College of Saint Elizabeth
2 Convent Road
Morristown, NJ 07960-6989

© 2018 College of Saint Elizabeth