In order for students to receive financial aid they must meet certain eligibility requirements listed below:

  • Have financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Be a high school graduate.
  • Be enrolled at least half-time at the College of Saint Elizabeth in a degree granting program.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Be making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree (see explanation below).
  • Not be in default of a federal loan or owe repayment of a federal grant.
  • Certify that information reported on the Student Aid Report (SAR) is accurate.

For information on Financial Aid at CSE call (973) 290-4445, fax us at (973) 290-4421 or review the Financial Aid Handbook.

Requirements to Maintain Eligibility for Federal Aid

In addition to the requirements above, colleges and universities are required to define and enforce standards of academic progress. Students receiving federal financial aid must conform to these requirements in order to be eligible for this assistance. Satisfactory academic progress requirements at the College of Saint Elizabeth provide a maximum time frame for completion of a degree, a graduated credit accumulation over time, as well as a quality standard. The following section outlines the policy regarding satisfactory academic progress. The policy is subject to periodic revision due to federal legislative and regulatory requirements, as well as federal review.

Academic Progress Requirements for Financial Aid Eligibility

The following represents the College's minimal qualitative and quantitative academic requirements for financial aid eligibility. Failure to meet minimal qualitative and quantitative academic standards for academic progress will result in loss of eligibility for financial aid. Note these requirements are minimal standards for financial aid but do not represent the normal progression within the four-to-five year time period.

Undergraduate Full-Time Students

I. Minimum Qualitative Standards

Students must maintain a minimum grade point average of the following:

  • 1.8 Cumulative Grade Point Average for the first year, first two semesters, for first-time college students (does not apply to transfer students).

  • 2.0 Cumulative Grade Point Average for all remaining semesters.

II. Minimum Quantitative Standards

  • Students must complete the following cumulative numbers of credits each academic year (credits = 128 required for the degree + 5 credits of Basic Skills). All full-time students must attempt a minimum of 12 credits each semester and earn:

    • Year I: 24 Credits
    • Year II: 50 Credits
    • Year III: 76 Credits
    • Year IV: 102 Credits
    • Year V: 128 Credits
    • Year VI: 133 Credits
      (128 for degree plus 5 credits of Basic Skills)

  • Satisfactory completion of courses is indicated by course work of A, B+, B, C+, C, D, DE or P. Course withdrawals, audit, and failure (F grades) will adversely affect the student's cumulative grade point average and/or accumulated credits. Grades of NC will adversely affect the student's accumulated credits.

  • Incomplete grades will not be counted into the student's grade point average or cumulative numbers of credits until a grade is received or resolved as an FI (Failure due to an incomplete).

  • Repeated courses will only count once into the cumulative earned credits and calculated into the cumulative grade point average according to College policy.

  • In the process of earning a degree, a maximum of three courses with institutional credits will be included in establishing eligibility for financial aid. This number may be increased if approval for additional remedial courses is obtained in writing from Dean of the Women's College and Undergraduate Studies. This approval must be submitted to the Director of Financial Aid. Basic Skills and the writing competency must be successfully completed during the first four semesters at the College.

III. Degree Completion

  • It is expected that full-time students in continuous attendance will complete their degree in four or five academic years. If necessary, students may appeal for an extension of time that will take the students into a sixth year. Scholarships and Financial awards are only for four years of study. If extenuating circumstances occur preventing the student from completing the program within the time permitted, she/he should contact the Financial Aid Office to obtain and complete the Scholarship Appeal Form. Once submitted, the appeal will be presented to the Scholarship Appeal Committee.

  • Transfer students must adhere to the above quantitative and qualitative standards, based on the credits successfully transferred and class standing at the time of admission to the College.

  • Students completing double majors, changing majors, taking a leave of absence or withdrawing from courses in a semester because of an emergency situation, or any other extenuating situation will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Dean of the Women's College and Undergraduate Studies and a recommendation made to the Committee on Financial Aid and Scholarships regarding the need for a waiver of academic progress criteria.

Undergraduate Part-Time Students

Half-time students are expected to complete 12 credits toward graduation each academic year (fall, winter, and spring). Note: these requirements are minimal standards for financial aid.

The number of years a half-time student has to complete the degree is determined by dividing the total number of credits needed by 12. For example a transfer student needing 60 credits would be allowed 5 years (60/12 = 5 years) and a student needing 128 credits would be allowed 11 years (128/12 = 10.6 or 11 years).

A full-time student moving to half-time status would be treated as a transfer student and the time allowed to complete the degree would be based on a minimum number of 12 credits per academic year. This change in status may adversely affect financial aid. Change of status will be reported to the Office of Financial Aid by the Dean of the Women's College and Undergraduate Studies.