Credit by Examination
Credit by Examination
The College of Saint Elizabeth accepts transfer credits achieved through successful passage of CLEP, TECEP and DANTES academic subject exams. For additional information, please contact your Program Chair/Course of Study Coordinator.
A student with prior work experience that parallels the content of a course in the major program, as determined by the Course of Study Coordinator/ Program Chair may file an application for an exam. Credit by Examination Application Form.
- Applicants may submit a Credit by Examination Application Form after they have been accepted to CSE and are enrolled in classes. Students must be enrolled in a declared or licensure program at CSE.
- Application must be approved by the end of the Add/Drop period in both fall/spring semesters.
- A student cannot use this option to pass a course for which the student has failed, either at CSE or any other institution.
- A student on probation, or who is suspended, may not take such an exam for credit.
- Student obtains a Credit by Examination Application Form from the Registrar's site and provides the information requested. The student begins the application process with the Academic Advisor, Course of Study Coordinator/ Program Chair who, after reviewing the student's academic status for approval, initiates the process, obtains the required signatures. (For CLEP, TECEP & DANTES)
For Theology only, the following procedures will be implemented after obtaining the required signatures on the Credit by Examination Application Form.
- The form is then taken to the Bursar's Office for payment of the appropriate fee. The validated form is then returned to the initial contact person of the Program. A "no show" student for the exam forfeits the fee.
- The notification of students of time and place of the exam, and other physical arrangements are the responsibility of the assigned instructor of the course in the Theology Program.
- The initial contact person for Theology will notify the student and the Registrar's Office of the exam results.
Credit by Examination does not result in a quality grade (A, A-, etc.) and is not included in the calculation of the student's grade point average. The instructor of the course completes the evaluation of the student's exam with a grade of Pass or Fail.
Summary of Prior Learning Credit through PELA and Credit by Examination (CBE)