Dr. Erin Lothes Biviano
Title: Assistant Professor
Office Building: Annunciation Center
Floor: Upper Level
PhD, Theology, Fordham University
MA, Theology, Boston College
AB, Princeton University
Research Postdoctoral Fellowship, Earth Institute, Columbia University, 2007-2010
Graduate Seminar in Catholicism and World Religions
Church: Community of Faith
Catholic Social Thought
Honors Women and Religion
- Inspired Sustainability: Getting from Ideally Green to Really Green - Insights from American Faith Communities. Book manuscript in progress.
- Assessing Renewable Energy: Proposals from Catholic Social Teaching. Just Sustainability: Technology, Ecology, and Resource Extraction. Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church Book Series, Vol. 3. Edited by Christiana Z. Peppard and Andrea Vicini, SJ (forthcoming 2014).
- Come With Me Into the Fields: Inspiring Creation Ministry Among Faith Communities. New Theology Review; forthcoming March 2014.
- Worldviews on Fire: Understanding the Inspiration for Congregational Religious Environmentalism
- The Paradox of Christian Sacrifice, New York: Herder and Herder, 2007. Back Cover
- Link to review in Theological Studies
- Wienowicki, L., Smukler, S., Shirley, K., Lothes Biviano, E., Loeffler Pelter, G., King, E., Comita, L., Baptista, S., Alkema, L. “Tools for Enhancing Interdisciplinary Communication,” Sustainability: Science, Practice, & Policy 7:1 2011.
- Guest Editor, special Science and Religion issue of the Union Seminary Quarterly Review, Vol 63: 1, 2, Spring 2011.
- Inspired Sustainability: Getting from Ideally Green to Really Green - Insights from American Faith Communities. Book manuscript in progress
- Convener, Sustainability and Discipleship Interest Group, Catholic Theological Society of America. Three-year task force addressing the ethics of transitioning to sustainable energy.
Presenter, "A Lenten Carbon Fast in the City." Ascension Church Confirmation Classes. New York City, February 9, 2014.
Speaker, Ascension Church Year of Faith Lecture, "A Catholic Response to Climate Change." New York City, October 17, 2013.
Panelist, “The Power of Scientific Literacy to Transform Ecological Worldviews and Spark Action.” Climate, Mind and Behavior Symposium, The Garrison Institute, Garrison, NY, June 9-12, 2013.
- Convener, Interest Group on Sustainability and Discipleship, “Analyzing the Justice Implications of Energy Systems in the Current Carbon Economy.” Catholic Theological
Society of America. Miami, June 6-9 2013
- Presenter, "Moving On to Higher Ground: A Response to Sandy," College of Saint Elizabeth, April 2013.
- Presenter, “Understanding the Motivation for Religious Environmentalism.” Webinar for GreenFaith Fellows, March 18 and May 10, 2013.
- Presenter, Selected Session, “Global Ecology and the Life of the Sacraments,” Catholic Theological Society of America, St. Louis. June 2012.
- Panelist, Annual Meeting of the American Teilhard Association, New York. April 21, 2012. “A Journey of Spiritual Dialogue.”
- Presenter, ENVISION Conference, Caring for the Community of Creation: Climate Change, Environmental Justice, and Prophetic Faith, New York Theological Seminary. June 16-18, 2011. “Lighting the Fire of Motivating Awareness.”
- Presenter,” 17th Annual International Sustainable Development Research Conference. Earth Institute, New York City. May 8-10, 2011. “Effectiveness of Decision-Making and Advocacy for Sustainability among Faith Communities."
- Homilist, Lenten Vespers Series, Corpus Christi Church, New York City. March 27, 2011. “An Invitation to Concelebrate the Sacrament of Co-creation.”
- Panelist, The 18th Session of the UN Commission on Sustainable Development: Exploring the Implications of the Ecological Civilization. United Nations Headquarters, New York City. May 7, 2010.
- Homilist, Earth Day Evensong and Ecology, The Cathedral of Saint John the Divine, New York City. April 25, 2010. "Deep Calls Unto Deep."
- Panelist, Climate and Society Panel: The Ethics of Climate Change. Columbia University, New York. April 15, 2010.
- Convener, Catholic Theological Society of America, Theological Anthropology Session: Bridging Material and Non-Material Aspects of Personhood, Halifax, Nova Scotia. June 5, 2009.
- Presenter, Earth Institute Fellows Symposium. Columbia University, New York, May 7, 2009. “American Religious Environmentalism: The Role of Scientific Literacy and Community.”
- Presenter, Earth Institute Fellows Symposium. Columbia University, New York. November 24, 2008. “How Religious Doctrine and Other Values Motivate Religious Environmentalists.”
- Moderator, Catholic Theological Society of America, Schillebeeckx Special Session. Miami, June 2008.
- Panelist, Renewing Hope Conference, Forum on Religion and Ecology. Yale University, New Haven, February 28-March 1 2008. “Next Steps: Ways Forward.”
- Moderator and Presentor, Catholic Theological Society of America 2007 Convention. Los Angeles, CA, June 7-10, 2007. “Practical Challenges, Shared Responsibilities: The Bishops, the Church, and the Environmental Crisis.”