Dr. Janet Kaydos Berthel
Office Building: Henderson Hall
Floor: 2nd Floor
1988 Ph.D., Chemistry
1983 B.S., Chemistry, magna cum laude
- Introduction to Forensic Science
- Introductory Chemistry
- General Chemistry
- Introductory Organic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Introductory Biochemistry
- Bioorganic Chemistry
- Chemistry Independent Study: Synthesis and Mechanism
- Chemistry Independent Study: Chemical Ecology
- Chemistry Seminar
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Chemical Ecology: Determining the influence of invasive tree species on fungal abundance in the forest floor
- Organic Synthesis: Stereoselective prostaglandin synthesis via vinyl carbene-olefin cycloaddition reactions.
- Approaches to the antibiotic pseudomonic acid C via alkoxide accelerated rearrangements of vinyl oxetanes.
- Synthesis of antifungal agents via Cope rearrangements of cis-2,3-divinyloxetanes.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATONS
- Janet Berthel and Kimberley Grant, "The Primary Literature as a Review Tool for Senior Comprehensive Exams", 34th Northeast Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Binghamton, NY, 2006.
- Janet Berthel* and Lewis Fikes, "Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution by Student Design", 38th Middle Atlantic Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Hershey, PA, 2006.
- Michelle Battista*, Janet Berthel and Kimberley Grant, "Processing Techniques of Salmon and the Effects on Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Mercury Concentration", 38th Middle Atlantic Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Hershey, PA, 2006.
- Janet A. Kaydos and Walter Bowyer, "A Novel Format for Seminar during the Senior Year of the College Chemistry Curriculum", J. Chem. Educ. 1997, 74, 184-185.
- Janet Kaydos and Li Chen*, "Vinyloxetanes as Synthetic Intermediates: Approaches to Oxocane Ring Systems", 39th Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium sponsored by the Rochester Section of the American Chemical Society, University of Rochester, 1994.
RECENT STUDENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Alexa Bogstahl, “Chemical Ecology: Analysis of Fungal Biomass in Soil Samples”, Academic year research, 2011.
- Anny Heiro and Bo Chu, “Virtual NMR in the Sophomore Organic Chemistry Laboratory”, Academic year research, 2010.
- Cassandre Noel, "Peer-Directed Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning", Project conducted in conjunction with the College of Saint Elizabeth Academic Skills Center, 2007.
- Michelle Silva, "Isolation and Quantification of Fatty Acids in Peanut Butter", Academic year research, 2006.
- Michelle Battista, "Processing Techniques of Salmon and its Effects on Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Mercury Concentrations", Academic year research sponsored by Pfizer Phamaceuticals, 2005.
- Viktoriya Davayeva and Monica Gutierrez, "Determination of Fungal Biomass in Tomatoes via Measurements of Ergosterol Content", Academic year research, 2005.
- Aksana Vasilyeva, "Computer Analysis of Phosphofructokinase", Academic year research, 2004.
- Shruti Parek and Elizabeth Karnas, "Preliminary Investigations into the Determination of Ergosterol Levels in Tomato Products", Academic year research, 2003.
- Celeste O'Connel, "Vinyloxetanes as Synthetic Intermediates", Academic year research, 1995.
- American Chemical Society