Forget J.K. Rowling. Amanda Wassel, a senior at CSE, hopes to use her English degree to pen something as impactful as Harry Potter some day. As a transfer student from Sussex County Community College, finding a school with a great English program was a must for Amanda.
Read Amanda's Story
The English program provides a bridge between the written word and the human experience. Our students hone their ability to read situations and people, employ critical and creative thinking, and develop clear and persuasive communications skills. Flexibility in thought and perspective is in great demand in today's world, and English majors consistently are able to adapt to careers involving complex thought and implementation.
1. Students develop a close-knit learning community taught by dedicated and accomplished faculty.
2. Specializations in English studies, literary studies and writing studies.
3. The English program regularly invites top-name poets and writers to campus. Speakers have included Gwendolyn Brooks; Poet Laureate Donald Hall; and Nobel Laureate Seamus Heaney.
4. Easy access to plays, museums, and other cultural activities in New York City.
5. English faculty frequently sponsor short-term study abroad opportunities in England, France, and Italy.
"The professors filled the classroom with their passion for the written word. I not only learned to see literary arts with fresh eyes, but I learned how to create excitement about the topic in the classroom."
– Lauren Geleailen, '16
Santa Maria Hall 41
Santa Maria Hall 10C
Santa Maria Hall 10B
Chairperson and Professor
Santa Maria Hall 10A